College Education Costs

In most situations, child support is determined by a formula. That formula takes several factors into consideration, including each parent's income, the number of children and the cost of health insurance for the children. Although the cost of college education is not automatically factored into child support payments, it can be added.

Although parents are not required to pay for their children's college expenses, it is a wonderful gift that some parents choose to provide. If you are working through a high-asset divorce or if you are already divorced and wonder what options you have, an experienced divorce attorney can help.

Your children's educational opportunities do not need to suffer because you are going through divorce. If you had hoped to pay for your children's college education before you got divorced, that can still be a reality.

At Law Offices of James O. Bass, P.C., we are committed to protecting the financial and emotional best interests of clients in Woodstock and throughout the Greater Atlanta area in all child support matters.

Can Parents Be Required To Pay For College Expenses?

In Georgia, the custodial parent can request that the noncustodial parent help pay college-related expenses. Although the specifics will depend on your situation, the following expenses can be rolled into child support payments:

  • College tuition
  • Room and board
  • Books
  • Extracurricular activities
  • A monthly allowance

College Expenses: A Deviation From The Child Support Formula?

Even though college expenses are not automatically factored into the child support formula, some situations warrant deviating from the formula. College-related expenses, for example, can be the basis for that deviation. Because the courts in Georgia also use a formula to determine whether a deviation from the standard formula is warranted, it's important to work with an attorney who can help ensure that your financial well-being and the best interests of your child are protected.

Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today

At the Law Offices of James O. Bass, P.C., we understand the impact child support will have on the rest of your life, and the counsel we provide you will be tailored to your unique needs and situation. Call 770-628-1136 to schedule your consultation. Alternatively, you can reach us through email and we will respond promptly.