Child Relocation

Following a divorce, one of the parents will often want to move away. There can be any number of reasons for the move, including employment opportunities, to be closer to family or simply to make a new start. The only requirement under Georgia law regarding parental relocation is that the non-relocating parent must be given 30 days advance notice of the proposed move. This does not mean, however, that the non-relocating parent has no say in the matter.

Whether you are the parent who wishes to relocate or you are the parent who wants to protect his or her access to the children, the assistance of a reliable Woodstock child relocation lawyer can be extremely beneficial. At Law Offices of James O. Bass, P.C., we represent parents on both sides of complex child custody matters.

Committed To Obtaining A Favorable Outcome For Our Clients

As with any child custody matter, the court is concerned with the best interests of the child above all else. For children under the age of 14 years, the court will consider several factors in determining whether the relocation is in the child's best interests. If the child is at least 11 years of age, the court will consider his or her wishes in making its determination. Under Georgia's child election law, if the child is at least 14 years of age, he or she can choose whether to move or stay with the non-relocating parent.

In cases where a child does relocate, the non-relocating parent can request a child support deviation to allow for travel expenses associated with visiting the children or flying them back home. If the non-relocating parent is opposed to the move, we will present the strongest possible case to support his or her position. If the move is a deliberate attempt to interfere with the non-relocating parent's access or if there are other concerns, we will pursue every available option in an effort to prevent the relocation.

Discuss Your Case With An Attorney At The Law Offices Of James O. Bass, P.C.

To start receiving the quality representation you need for challenging child relocation issues, contact our office today. You can reach us by calling 770-628-1136, or by filling out our brief online intake form. We always respond promptly to inquiries.